Militants kill six in attack on convoy from gold mine in Burkina Faso

Militants kill six in attack on convoy from gold mine in Burkina Faso
The army reported on Saturday that unidentified gunmen attacked a truck from the Boungou gold mine in eastern Burkina Faso and killed six persons while injuring another two.

The mine, which is owned by Toronto-listed Endeavour Mining, sent out five vehicles last week to assist a nearby convoy that had been mired in mud for days, according to an army statement.

Once the convoy was back on the road, the attack took place. When the five backup vehicles withdrew from the convoy and its security escort, the attackers focused on them.

The largest gold producer in the nation of West Africa, Endeavour, declined to comment.

Two sources in the Burkinabe mining sector with knowledge of the attack said the dead were not Endeavour employees but locals who supplied goods to the mine.

“The five vehicles, for reasons which remain to be determined, remained behind the convoy, outside the security system put in place by the military,” the army said in a statement.

The attack underscores the dangers of operating in Burkina Faso, where since 2018 Islamist militants affiliated with Islamic State and al Qaeda have taken over large areas of the north and east, killing thousands and displacing over a million.

Thirty-nine people were killed in an ambush on buses filled with workers from the Boungou mine in 2019. Back then, the mine was owned by Quebec-based Semafo, which was acquired by Endeavour in 2020.

Workers at Boungou told Reuters that they had raised concerns about road safety months before the 2019 ambush.

When Endeavour restarted the mine, it said it would now be flying all personnel who did not live “within the immediate vicinity” of the mine to the site.
Chima Ugo is a patriotic Nigerian, a journalist, blogger and singer who is so much interested in the internet, journalism, and blogging and have been for half a decade.