The 2022 FIFA World Cup organisers announced on Thursday that all attendees, regardless of vaccination status, must provide confirmation of a negative COVID-19 test.
In accordance with a statement from Qatar's Supreme Committee for Delivery & Legacy, all visitors six years of age and older must show proof of a negative PCR test.
The test has to be performed no more than 48 hours prior to departure or from a fast antigen test performed no more than 24 hours prior to arrival.
According to the announcement, results from fast antigen tests will only be acknowledged if they come from recognised medical facilities and not from self-administered tests.
However, no further tests would be required in Qatar if visitors do not develop symptoms of COVID-19.
It added that visitors aged 18 and above will also be required to download a government-run contact-tracing phone application called Ehteraz.
“A green Ehteraz status (showing the user does not have a confirmed case of COVID-19) is required to enter any public closed indoor spaces,” the statement added.
It also said that fans would have to wear masks on public transport.
But it added that vaccination was not mandatory for the unprecedented influx of 1.2 million visitors expected for the 20 November to 18 December tournament.
“Anyone who tests positive for COVID-19 while in Qatar will be required to isolate in accordance with Ministry of Public Health guidelines,” the statement said.
Qatar has recorded more than 440,000 confirmed cases of COVID-19 and 692 deaths from the virus, according to data from the Ministry of Public Health.
The country has a population of 2.8 million, of which barely 380,000 are Qatari nationals.
A total of 7,487,616 vaccine doses have been administered so far, the data states.